Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dog Lake

To all my readers, if you are truly out there, I’m truly sorry for not posting last week. Things were just extremely crazy for me. Anywho, I’m hoping to redeem myself this week by telling ya’ll about one of my favorite hiking places in Utah. Up in the very top of Millcreek Canyon, lies a trail that is a family favorite. It’s none other than Dog Lake. I’m not sure how old I was when my family made it a tradition to go up there a couple of times a week. I’m pretty sure it was after we caught the hiking bug in Zion. This trail is about a 3.5 mile hike. Every other day horses, dogs, and bikes are allowed on the trail, though I’ve never brought a dog, nor ridden a horse or bike on the trail.

The trail is somewhat strenuous, due to the steepness of the trail. Parts of the trail are covered in lots or rock, after a lot of uphill hiking; one hits a steep, decline this means your almost there! Dog Lake is a beautiful lake with a nice, cool breeze flowing through it. One thing my siblings and I enjoy doing is collecting flat rocks on the way up, and then skipping them across the lake when we get up there. Utah is surrounded by beautiful mountains, and Millcreek Canyon is a great place to appreciate them.

My family tries to hike this trail at least once a year, if not more. My siblings and I enjoy racing up this trail with our parents close behind. This is the first trail that my family took with my sister-in-law, and when she enjoyed it as much as my family did, we all knew--more than ever--that she belonged in our family. The wildlife on this trail adds another element to it. There are often squirrels and chipmunks peeking down from the trees or darting across the trails. I can't emphasize how beautiful and well worth it this trail is. I highly recommend Dog Lake for a weekend hike!


Me at Dog Lake
(those are my brothers skipping rocks in the background)
Beautiful view from the trail

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Kira, you extreme gal. You are so fun to hike with. Let's do it more!

    ReplyDelete